Sunday, February 13, 2011

Top 5 Games of 2010

I am a tad tardy with this list but better late than never right?  Here are the top five games that held my attention during the year of 2010.

5.Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops

This is up here mostly due to its interesting and engaging campaign and because of the almost limitless fun of Zombies mode.  The multiplayer, well, it didn't do much for me but hundreds of thousands of gamers seem to love it.  The story kept me guessing (and very confused) but never got stale.

4.Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption

Some people would complain about this game not being number one or two on the list.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great game and it held my attention for a long time, but something just seemed lacking.  Set out on the Texas/Mexico border, the setting allowed for the brutal nature of several characters to come to light.  In terms of open-style RPGs, this game is rating up near Fallout 3 for me. Unfortunately, I never got into the multiplayer, but I am definitely reconsidering that with all the DLC Rockstar has put out.

3.Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

To be honest, I was expecting this game to be boring and not take the story anywhere.  Boy, was I wrong!  Even though the game is not labeled as Assassin's Creed III, it really comes in as a full fledged sequel and not a simple side game.  It continues the story of Ezio from Assassin's Creed II and lets you build up the Assassin Brootherhood.  Have fifteen guards between your target and you?  No problem.  Using your assassins you can take out all the guards in the blink of an eye and casually stroll up to your target.  Multiplayer is a blast too, though it often leaves me a little paranoid.  If you haven't played it yet, go play it.

2.Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 2

The hotly anticipated followup to the original Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 allowed Bio Ware to mix up the formula and change the gameplay.  I will be the first to admit that they may have changed a little too much.  The game feels more linear and that definitely detracts from the main attraction of Mass Effect, its open world, "limitless possibilities" feel.  The lack of weapons and armor to pick up also peeved me some.  However, there were plenty of new additions that got me playing the game.  The ability to invest in your ship and mine resources by scanning worlds was interesting and I also had no trouble adjusting to the more shooter type gameplay.  I'm definitely waiting for Mass Effect 3 but I am hoping that they go back to their roots some.

1.Halo Reach
Halo Reach

Anyone who has seen this blog before definitely knew this game was going to be number one.  Let's be honest, I'm a Halo fan.  Reach has been called Bungie's "swan song" to Halo.  For me, it lived up to all the hype and is still delivering a kick-ass gaming experience on a daily basis.  Every mode has received improvement, be it Campaign, Forge, Firefight, or Multiplayer.  My one knock on the game is the inability to have two people watch a film at the same time.  However, we did gain the ability to rewind campaign movies, so I guess it was a worthwhile trade-off.  If you haven't played Reach, I don't know where you have been, but get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment