Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Joys of Sleeping In and Job Hunting

Now, those of us who are unemployed, or, at least, do not work full time, know that sleeping in is one of the best parts of the day. In fact, it may only be rivaled by falling asleep. Who doesn't like just laying down in a half-conscious, unstressed state where the only questions are why is it so cold and where is that light coming from? I was partaking of such a session this morning. There was some light sneaking in through the bottom of my door and the window shades that threatened my docile state, but I was wholly unworried about interruption.

Like this, but, you know, it would be me. On a futon. And without that weird bluish blanket.


Then came a siren like wail that pierced the silence. Though only half closed, my eyes quickly shot open scanning my unkempt room for the source of the disturbance. Working in concert with my booming ears, my eyes finally settled on the cell phone laying next to my pillow, where I had left it to charge the night before. On the screen was a number I did not know.



Now, unfamiliar numbers don't normally scare me. I will pick up no matter the number. Normally, it is the wrong number or the right number with the wrong person receiving the call. Quite a few calls have been asking for the same person. I must admit that I do not know a Larry Johnson and I sincerely wish he would stop giving my number to people. You are ruining my sleep you bastard! I do tend to get caught at unawares, though, when people ask for someone I have never heard of.

But do you ever find yourself trying to make a conversation out of the wrong number situation? I have wanted to before. Normally, I'm not brave enough to try. I did once though. It was one of those "seeking Larry Johnson" calls and I just happened to be bored when the person called. "Hi, is Larry there?" I rely, "Who?" "Larry Johnson?" "I think you have the wrong number...but my name is Justin. What's yours?" The response come like, "Oh...OK. Wait, what?" "I said, my name is Justin. What is yours?" The next sound is silence, because the person hung up before I got to the fifth word in that last part. People just really aren't up for conversation these days.

I do remember another time I got a call and the number was something like 666-666-6666. It was early so I didn't think anything of it. Upon opening my phone and putting it to my ear, I hear this really low bassy voice asking me about some sort of deal and the condition of my soul. I remember telling the guy that I was in no mood for religion or getting elected to public office and instead asked how his day was. All I ever heard after that was silence as he hung up. That was a strange call.

Reports indicate, he may have looked like this...

But I digress...

This call was not the wrong number. An insurance company, who shall remain nameless, in fact trying to reach me with an apparent job offer. Kind of, but not really. The conversation went something like this.

Caller: Hi, I'm calling on behalf of ----- Insurance and I am trying to reach Justin for an employment opportunity in response to his resume posting on Career Builder.
Me: This is Justin.
Caller: Good, so I am calling to tell you that we have several positions open in our office and I believe you are qualified. We would like you to come in and meet with us to discuss.
Me: So what are these positions?
Caller: Account Executive, Manager, and Salesman trainee.
Me: I doubt I am qualified for two of those positions.
Caller: Well, we prefer to hire people with no experience that have a great work ethic and drive.
Me: Ok, so what duties do these positions entail?
Caller: Well, that isn't exactly my area, that would be Brian's, but I believe that the position has to do with the marketing and distribution of policies to customers, interfacing with customers on issues with their policies and ... (I can't remember the other duties she entailed, but they were pretty similar).
Me: So, basically, I would be selling insurance policies.
Caller: (Moment of pause) Yes that is correct.
Me: And should I take it that this is a commission based job?
Caller: I'm sorry but I am not allowed to discuss compensation on the phone or at all. It would be illegal of me to do so.
Me: Really? Illegal?
Caller: Yes.
Me: Well, I did not know that.
Caller: So would you like to come in to talk?
Me: Is there anyway you could send me the information in an email and I could get back to you?
Caller: I'm sorry but we don't work that way. Thank you for your time.
And the call is ended before I am given a chance to respond.

Af-Crap

Now, I thought that this was a humorous way to start my day. But I must say, illegal to talk about payment over the phone? Really? Illegal? I very highly doubt that. It seems that the minute I figured out that they are just looking for easy employment in a commission based position the call was basically over. The refusal to email me the info was also kind of sad and seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back.

But I just feel that this is a terrible way to treat potential future employees. It was like they were trying to play a trick on me and once I figured it out the joke was up. Then they just cut and run, accepting that the situation was lost.

Is this what the job market is now?

No comments:

Post a Comment